Feb 5, 2010

Junior My Chow Mix

Dog-Notes: Junior, Chow Mix
So I said in a blog before that I'd talk a little bit about my dogs. Well first lets start off with Junior, he's my chow mix. I didn't receive him as a puppy, as much as I would have liked, he actually belonged to someone else that I knew in the neighborhood. I actually didn't get him till he was three years old.

A little about Junior? Well he's a HE, many people seem to mistake him for a her...I'm not sure how...Currently (2010) he's 5 years old. I'm positive he's a chow mix although I have no idea what other breeds he might be mixed with, my best guesses would be Golden Retriever and Finnish Spitz. He's got an incredibly high prey drive, meaning he'll chase rabbits and squirrels like crazy, also has some trouble with pulling on the lead, which I'm working on.

Despite the fact that his previous owners didn't really socialize him, he does exceedingly well with strangers. Not so much with other dogs. He isn't, but I don't think he knows how to interact with them. Since I've had him he's met quite a few dogs without problems but there have been a handful that he growls at. If we're on a walk and there's another dog he'll growl if the other dog is going crazy with barking but will sniff another dog if they don't seem to be aggressive. Lately we've been going to the park so he can meet other dogs and the few that he's met he's done well.

Junior's highest reinforcer are walks and food, he goes absolutely crazy about them. He'll usually eat anything, provided that its not green. You can give him a tiny piece of sandwich and he'll eat everything except the lettuce!

As far as trainability goes, he's wonderful! He learns tricks with ease and has the ones he has previously learned well memorized. Tricks he knows include sit, lay, paw, kiss, jump, crawl, stand, fetch, and some few more he's working on.

Well I think that's it! Other than that here's some picture I've take of him, enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment